Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bushel and a Peck

Grandma sang this song to me so it is natural that I sing it to you girls as well.  It doesn’t matter that I *might not* know all the words… I have long ago made up the parts that I am unsure about and they are "right" now.  Bumpkin, when you were a baby you made me sing this song to you every night before bed.  I didn’t mind at first, but I quickly learned the “mommy law” of not putting too much into bedtime.   It got to the point where you refused to go to bed without me sitting in your room singing “Bushel and a Peck” over and over again.  It tooks months to break that nasty habit I started myself. 
Man, did I learn with Troublemaker.  But it turned out not to matter.  In typical Troublemaker fashion (the little girl who wipes off my kisses) you didn’t care for me spending that extra special time of rocking and singing to you.  You would squirm off my lap as fast as you could and if my memory served me right you even told me you didn’t like that song.  And you wonder how you got the name Troublemaker.  : )  
I noticed myself singing this song to Mimi yesterday.  Every time I sing it I go back to the days when Bumpkin used to make me sit on the floor with my hand over her crib (falling asleep) and sing the song over and over until she fell asleep.  I’m smart enough not to do that anymore but excited to know what Mimi is going to think of the song and to continue the tradition with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment